Sour Cream Carrot Cake
Moist carrot cake layered with cream cheese frosting.
- 2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup Kemps sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In large bowl, beat the sugar, oil and eggs until creamy. Add ¾ cup sour cream and 2 teaspoons vanilla; beat until well-mixed.
- Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Beat on low speed until mixed. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute.
- Stir in the carrots and nuts. Pour the batter evenly into the pans.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pans for 10 minutes. Remove the cakes from pans onto cooling racks; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese, vanilla extract and powdered sugar.
- Beat on low speed until mixed. Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy.
- Place 1 cake layer, rounded side down, on a serving plate.
- Spread about 1/2 cup frosting over cake. Place second layer over frosting, rounded side up. Repeat with third layer.
- Frost the sides and top of the cake. Store covered in refrigerator until serving.